HERNDON, Va., February 19, 2019 – 2018 was a milestone year for the ACH Network. Payment volume climbed by almost 1.5 billion payments, the fourth straight year the ACH Network has added more than 1 billion new payments.
ACH Network volume reached nearly 23 billion payments in 2018, a year-over-year increase of 6.9 percent and the highest growth rate since 2008. That’s nearly 70 payments for every person in the U.S.
The value of ACH payments in 2018 was $51.2 trillion, a 9.5 percent increase over 2017. It marked the sixth consecutive year in which ACH payment value has risen by at least $1 trillion. For perspective, the value of last year’s ACH payments was more than 2 1/2 times that of the nation’s 2017 gross domestic product.
Same Day ACH volume soared in 2018, the first full year with same-day debits as well as credits. There were nearly 178 million Same Day ACH payments last year: 98.3 million credits and 79.7 million debits. Overall Same Day ACH volume jumped 137 percent from 2017. Total Same Day ACH value in 2018 was $159.9 billion, up 83 percent over the year before.
“The results for 2018 make clear that the ACH Network is vibrant and continues to be a vital component of the nation’s economic engine,” said NACHA Chief Operating Officer Jane Larimer. “With more enhancements to Same Day ACH being rolled out this year and next, the experience for businesses and consumers will only get better.”
Several core ACH use cases saw substantial growth in 2018 including:
• Business-to-business (B2B) payments, up 9.4 percent to 3.6 billion, total value $34.9 trillion
• Direct Deposit, up 4.4 percent to 6.8 billion, total value $9.7 trillion
• Internet payments, up 14.2 percent to 5.9 billion, total value $2.9 trillion
• Payments from health plans to medical and dental providers, up 11.5 percent to 306.7 million, total value $1.59 trillion
• Person-to-person (P2P) payments, up 32.2 percent to 128.7 million, total value $209.6 billion
Download The Full Year ACH Network Volume Infographic